As an affordable housing developer and property management organization, our staff accountant performs a range of duties essential to achieving our mission of providing access to stable, affordable housing for people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. The Staff Accountant is responsible for multiple aspects of property level and organizational level financial reporting for the organization. The position works closely with business partners (e.g., Leasing Specialists, Fund Developers, Maintenance Specialists, and residents), and takes direction from the Senior Accountant and Chief Financial Officer. A successful Staff Accountant ensures the timeliness and accuracy of financial reporting for internal and external purposes. The Staff Accountant directly reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
Monitor & Evaluation (50%)
- Collaborates with business partners regarding properties to record and report business activities (e.g., rent payments, security deposits, operations expenses, petty cash, vendor invoices, and other property related activities).
- Supports or assists with accounting setup and continued support related to new builds, rehabilitation projects, and asset dispositions.
- Engages effectively with accounting team or other business partners exercising professionalism during business hours and company sponsored events.
- Records budgets and routine monthly charge to properties including for management fees, work orders, and insurance.
- Monitors insurance certificates for workers compensation and general liability insurance for subcontractors.
- Process month-end transactions.
- Performs assigned special projects and research.
- Supporting Senior Accountant and leasing team with key subsidy requests.
- Attends CASA fundraising events and supports fundraising staff as requested.
- Supports volunteer coordinator with community events.
- Supports and enforces internal controls established by the organization and the department and required to disclose internal controls weaknesses.
- Mitigates and detects fraudulent activity by establishing professional skepticism when analyzing financial information.
- Energetic self-starter & critical thinker; demonstrates initiative & wiliness to go extra mile in any situation.
- Practiced communication and interpersonal skills with ability to lead and inspire others.
- Driven by achievement of goals and desire for continuous improvement with lean thinking.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to balance quickness & quality.
- Proficient technology skills to include Microsoft 365 suite products and related third party vendors.
- Commitment to CASA’s mission, vision, and demonstration of core values in daily work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting (B.A./B.S.) from a four-year college or university
- Experience using accounting software QuickBooks or Avid and proficient using other software applications
- Three to four years related real estate or property management experience in finance or accounting roles
- Skilled property management accountant.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Performs well under pressure while meeting deadlines
- CPA desired but not required
- Mid-to-Expert level knowledge and experience using spreadsheets MS-Excel and Microsoft applications.
- Knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and financial reporting related to NFP
- Superior organizational and time management skills are required
- Language skills proficiency with demonstrated ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- Possesses advanced business, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
- Adopts lean thinking, principles, and practices and initiates related professional development.
- Ownership of key performance indicators and mentors internal business partners
- Ability to direct, mentor, train, and develop business partners and other accounting staff.
CASA is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity within our mission and vision. At CASA, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status designated by federal, state, or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference check and background investigation.